The Daihatsu K3-VE engine was introduced in year 2000 on the Daihatsu Terios/Perodua Kembara and used in various other Daihatsu/Toyota cars, including the 2004 Daihatsu Sirion M301S, and later in the 2005 Perodua Myvi. The Daihatsu K3-VET engine is similar to the non-turbo sibling, with the same engine block and cylinder head, and the difference being the lower compression ratio, turbocharger and some minor changes on the engine block itself.
In 2007, Daihatsu quietly upgraded the K3-VE, which featured:
- Bigger intake & exhaust ports on the cylinder head
- Bigger valves
- Re-designed intake manifold
- Bigger throttle body
- Smaller sized spark plugs
- ECU tuned to reflect the changes
All these changes resulted in better fuel economy and performance while the rest of the engine remained the same. Daihatsu did not differentiate the “new” 2007 K3-VE and the original K3-VE engine, but merely specified different spark plugs for the new 2007 K3-VE engine.
Most improvements on the 2007 K3-VE came from its bigger sibling, the 1.5L 3SZ-VE: but there were still difference in terms of part numbers of the cylinder head. But in the end of year 2008, the K3-VE and the 1.5L 3SZ-VE share the exact same cylinder head, valves, intake manifold, with the only difference being the solenoid and the throttle body. Why the difference? I have absolutely no clue.
NOTE: Yes I know it says TOYOTA on the schematics, but I couldn’t get Daihatsu documents so Toyota ones will do. Remember Toyota OWNS Daihatsu.
This upgrade was applied to ALL K3-VE engines, which includes the ones in the Perodua Myvi. Effectively, it is like a port & polish and enlarged valve upgrade done by the factory, which means balanced performance and efficiency throughout the RPM range.
- 2007: K3-VE was improved with new head, bigger valves, bigger intake manifold, throttle body, new spark plug spec.
- 2008 year end: K3-VE was given the exact same cylinder head part number as the 3SZ-VE engine.
- If you want to upgrade your K3-VET, it is better to find a complete 2007+ K3-VE cylinder head with intake manifold with a 3SZ-VE throttle body, or a complete 3SZ-VE cylinder head, intake manifold and throttle body.
- Port and polishing a K3-VET head will NOT be as good as a K3-VE/3SZ-VE head due to bigger intake & exhaust valves on the newer heads.
- The K3-VE & 3SZ-VE has a different throttle body and different idle speed controller.
- The K3-VET engine is compatible with the 3SZ-VE throttle body and idle speed controller. The throttle body and idle speed controller from K3-VE is NOT COMPATIBLE.
- If you have a 2007+ K3-VE, I will do a bolt on turbo instead of swapping with a K3-VET.